Joe's been in Finland all week for work, eating reindeer, snowboarding, and flying in F-18s. What a life! He got back on Saturday morning and came to visit me in London. We went out to a show (Waiting for Godot with Sir Ian McKellen). It was really good and we were on the 2nd row so we felt like Gandolf (who Ian McKellen plays in Lord of the Rings) was in our living room! I read a really funny quote about the play afterwards on Wikipedia that perfectly describes it "[the play] has achieved a theoretical impossibility—a play in which nothing happens, that yet keeps audiences glued to their seats. What's more, since the second act is a subtly different reprise of the first, he has written a play in which nothing happens, twice." Funny, but true.
Today, we had a lazy start to the day and then headed over to the British Museum. Its just around the corner from my flat in Bloomsbury and Joe wanted to see the Rosetta Stone. To be honest, the place is full of stolen artifacts from Egypt, Greece, ... Its surprising when you see it for the first time - entire Greek temples chopped up and brought to the (anything but) British Museum and re-assembled for the world to see. The argument for museums says the pieces were better preserved here, but it still feels a bit weird looking through all of these Egyptian pieces so far from their home. Joe is pictured with a cool statue - I could use some of those winged shoes!
I also just made plans to come home for Christine & Michael's wedding in Houston at the end of March. I'm going to take a couple of days to do some more house hunting in Birmingham at that time and my mom has agreed to come with me - thanks, Mom! Finally, good news on the job hunt. I'm making some headway in finding internal opportunities within my Firm and its feeling more likely that I'll have a role to go to in Birmingham. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
1 comment:
yay! so excited for you to move to bham. i'm going to be coming over that way quite a lot for work, so we'll have to hang out and get bbq.
Post a Comment